On December 20th we were all just playing in the den together. Boys will be boys and there was wrestling and jumping of course right at bedtime. All of a sudden Charlie just jumped off the couch which is totally normal and landed on his elbow. Nate and I knew immediately it was broken. It was a totally different cry from his normal hurt and i grabbed him and barely touched his arm and it was super swollen. So i am holding him and frantically calling Debbie. I just said Charlie broke his arm and we need yall over here asap. I grabbed random items and threw them in a bag. When Deedee and Jimbo arrived Nate and I were in the car ready to go. My sweet Whit was so worried and I should have calmed down enough to talk to him and let him know what was going on.... you live and learn. We headed to the ER and thankfully Charlie fell asleep as soon as we got in the car. I think the pain and crying caught up with him. We were able to get to a room very quickly which was a miracle. I went with him for x-rays fairly quickly and they sent them to the orthopedic on call. We had to wait a while for an orthopedic to get to to Children's. I held it together the whole time until they told me they were giving him morphine even though i knew he needed it. It was determined that this was a really bad break in his humerus and surgery was needed. It was right at the elbow and they wanted to place it exactly back in place so that growth would not be a problem. So Nate headed home to get all my stuff for an overnight stay. Thankfully once the orthopedic guy got there he was able to wrap his arm and stabilize it. Charlie and i got settled in a room around 10:30pm and tried to calm down. They had started an IV in the ER for pain med and then they started fluids once it was determined we would have surgery. Thankfully Charlie went to sleep about midnight. I slept in the bed with him on and off. I just had so much anxiety!! Unfortunately Monday was pretty booked with surgery so we had to take what we could get. By the grace of God Charlie never asked for food or anything to drink. It was a miracle for sure. Charlie is the worst patient ever and will not let anyone touch him or even look at him so all of this was quite disastrous for him. We spent Monday wandering the hospital and trying to calm down. Finally about 2 he was able to go back to surgery. They put 2 pins in his elbow and a really awesome camo cast :)
After surgery we had to stay for a while.... but bc Charlie is such a mess the nurses convinced the doctor that we would be fine at home :) So we finally made it home by about 8pm. After the first few nights (which were rough bc of pain) he has been totally back to our crazy Charlie!!! Hopefully we will be getting the pins out tomorrow! It has been 6 weeks so far. I just had to document this for memory sake!!!
| Clearly this is after his pain medicine had kicked in |
| We rolled the soccer ball back and forth for a while to pass time |
| After surgery looking at the Christmas decorations |
| Our bathtub - so much easier this way |
| Xray showing the pins- taken 1/12/16 with cast still on |

No comments:
Post a Comment